The Scott County Family YMCA Aquatics Departments are committed to train American Red Cross Lifeguards.
Training opportunities are available year round to help satisfy the local shortage of lifeguards needed to watch over all the Quad City swimming pools.
Lifeguards who are trained and certified and work at the our YMCA can be re-imbursed for the certification.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION TRAINING
Prerequisites for NEW Lifeguards
1. Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course. 2. Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but
swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
-Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
-Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
-Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
-Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Prerequisites for RENEWING Lifeguards
To participate in a Review Course, Lifeguards must have a CURRENT certification. Please contact a branch Aquatic Director for Review Course dates.
If your certification has expired, you need to enroll in a Full Course.
LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION TRAINING
Prerequisites for LGI Candidates
1. Be at least 17 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
2. Possess a current basic-level certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
3. Successfully complete the online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor Course prior to
the precourse skills session via the class roster and online content completion status report.
4. Obtain all instructor and participant materials before entering the first session of the instructor
Materials consist of:
-American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual (print).
-Lifeguarding course presentation and/or DVD.
-American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual (print or digital).
Use COLUMN HEADERS to sort by BRANCH or by CLASS TITLE or DAYS
|Location||Description||Member fee / Non member fee||Begins / Ends||Days Of Week||Ages|
|North Family YMCA
|12/17 - 12/19
|F, Sa, Su||15+||Register Now|